Whether we like it or not, the prettier and more unique the packaging is, the more it compels consumers to buy. And if 72 percent of American consumers are influenced by product packaging, then it’s high time businesses take packaging seriously. Ecommerce brands should be more meticulous in product packaging. That’s because they only have images to showcase their eCommerce packaging designs.
Before you think of skimping on packaging design for your eCommerce business, stop and think about how it can affect your brand identity and image. To further persuade you to develop a unique eCommerce packaging design, learn why it’s an integral business requisite.
What is Brand Identity?
Brand identity and brand image are sometimes used interchangeably. However, some fail to point out the stark contrast between the two. So what is brand identity? And how does it differ from brand image?
Quite simply, brand identity is the overall symbolism a company creates to permeate the right branding. It entails the brand’s logos, colors, icons, mascots, shapes, and other design elements. Additionally, brand identity also includes the brand’s language or tone of the copy. In turn, all these representations behind a brand’s identity shape the brand image.
The brand image is how consumers feel or perceive a particular company. In some cases, companies may try to establish a positive brand identity but fail to emanate it in their brand image. Of course, a bad brand image turns people off. Ensuring all elements are consistent, efficient, and relevant to your audience is key to a memorable and positive brand image.
Difference Between How People View Brick-and-Mortar vs. Ecommerce
As the brick-and-mortar sales increased by two percent from 2016 to 2017, the eCommerce sector also isn’t sitting on the sidelines. Shoppers, most especially millennials, are now opting to shop online than from a physical storefront. According to Statista, 67 percent of younger consumers prefer online shopping.
But why do people have various preferences when it comes to purchasing from brick-and-mortar vs. eCommerce stores? Here’s how people view brick-and-mortar and eCommerce shopping.
- Tangibility means proper product scrutiny. Customers prefer products they can touch and feel because it’s easier to vouch for the quality.
- Purchasing from brick-and-mortar stores means fast and efficient without having to wait for delivery timetables.
- Customers prefer speaking to a customer representative or salesperson personally than on the phone.
- Shopping from brick-and-mortar stores prevents complicated returns, exchanges, and further shipping issues.
- Brick-and-mortar shopping strengthens the bond with family and friends by simply going out and spending time together.
- The availability of being able to shop 24/7.
- Purchasing online is more affordable and has several options for the lowest prices.
- Online shopping is convenient, especially not having to dress up, drive, park, or go through the hassle of commuting. It also eliminates long queues and congested shopping stores.
- Ecommerce shopping means finding items that aren’t even available in physical storefronts.
- More discounted prices and waived shipping fees.
Why Packaging is Important
Ecommerce packaging, or packaging in general, is necessary for a surge in a company’s bottom line. Here’s why:
Generates Emotional Responses
The colors, graphics, icons, shapes, and copy of your eCommerce design packaging evoke emotions. For instance, 62 to 90 percent of consumers’ buying decision is influenced by the packaging color. Online shoppers are attracted to creative packaging, especially if the images are high-quality.
Protects the Product
One reason why eCommerce packaging is essential is that it protects the content. Whenever one orders online, shipping and delivery could take its toll on the product. This is where reliable and sturdy product packaging comes into play.
Packaging Sizes Have a Psychological Effect
Ecommerce stores should take into consideration different packaging sizes. This creates a subliminal message that the bigger the packaging, the more value customers are getting for less.
Creative Packaging Adds Personalization
Online shoppers are inclined towards a brand when they know the people behind the company took the time and effort to create something special. Including details such as a short message to the customer thanking them for buying the product is an excellent example.
Have you ever wondered why people upload their “unboxing” videos online? That’s because opening a product packaging is part of the buying process. The feeling of opening the first box or unlatching that hook to unveil a product is heavenly. Try to purchase a product with and without packaging and feel for yourself. There is a huge difference that makes product packaging an experiential necessity for consumers.
How Packaging Design Affects Brand Image
The disadvantage of buying from eCommerce stores is not able to interact with the items physically. Online shoppers appreciate more than a handful of photos to showcase not only the products but also the packaging.
Additionally, your eCommerce packaging design says a lot about your brand image. If you want to win customers, make your packaging design emulate a good first impression. Here’s how packaging affects your brand image:
- Symbol of Values. Your eCommerce packaging represents your brand’s values, personality, and principles. It communicates your message to your target audience as well. Having the right colors, icons, and copy is crucial to resonate with your audience. Not only that, if you want to give forth influential brand values, packaging is the first implication of those values.
- Graphics Compare to Product Quality. Establishing brand identity takes a strategic effort from all of the company’s departments. Packaging is part of brand identity that reflects the kind of quality your products have. If customers see products with shabby packaging, they instantly assume the quality is also poor. Overall, excellent packaging at the onset translates to a superb brand image.
- Enhances Credibility. Most consumers check the product information to know about the product in detail. Including accurate information enhances brand credibility. It also reduces the hesitations one has over an unfamiliar product.
- Eco-friendly Packaging Improves Brand Image. Brands that take their corporate social responsibility seriously gain more affinity from its audience. For instance, eco-friendly packaging is one of the reasons shoppers support a brand. If your brand has the same principles as your audience, you’ll most likely get extra brownie points from them.